2018, Milan, Italy
I wrote the interview script and conducted the User interviews; designed the wireframes and built the prototype.
Team: Alberto Lot, Alessandra Marafetti, Alberto Motta
Facilitator: Alessandro Contini
We conducted a heuristic evaluation of the website using the client’s brief as a loose framework.
Each student was allocated 10 minutes to test the website and take notes of relevant usability issues. At the end of the session, the outcome was discussed, and a severity code assigned to each item.
We classified them by category and voted for the ones that needed the most attention respectively: mobile app, user community, listings page, experiences section and product search. My team was assigned the product search.
The data retrieved during the previous step provided useful insights for the preparation of the questions to ask. We wanted to learn as much as we could about our users’ goals motivation and pain points and use the information to find
out why a percentage of them was leaving on the search results page.
We were also interested in any recurring pattern that would match data from our initial analysis. For this purpose, we interviewed two random users in line with the Sharewood demographics and one existing Sharewood customer.
Giorgia (Sharewood User)
We warmed up the conversation by asking some generic questions and then delved into the subject of our challenge and eventually assigned a task to execute on the website to study their behaviour and possibly identify any pain point.
Everything was recorded and the most interesting parts summarised as user quotes.
We believed that the current search option was taking into account only the needs of one type of user: those who knew precisely what and where they wanted to rent.
This constraint was causing the frustration of those users who whished to choose the location independently from the type of sports equipment and vice versa.
We hypothesised that removing this limitation and allowing more freedom in the search would accommodate a broader audience and reduce the percentage of unsuccessful users.
Soon after we began sketching on paper some user flows and rough wireframe:
From the paper sketches and user flows we moved to proto.io, Sketch app, and principle to quickly create an interactive lo-fi wireframe that we could test on lookback.io with some real users, this allowed us to quickly find and fix apparent issues before producing the actual hi-fi prototype.
On the last day, we created high definition prototype and tested it with real users before presenting it to the client along with the other solution designed during the workshop.